Coronavirus: Foreign Office Travel Advice

Updated 15th March 2020, 18:40. For the latest medical advice, visit

In response to coronavirus measures, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office are advising against all but essential travel to some countries, cities and regions. You should check the travel advice in the country you are planning to travel to. 

Check travel advice and sign up for email alerts for your destination

It is your responsibility to make sure you check travel advice before travelling. Use the link above to check advice and sign up for email alerts. You should: 

  • Make sure you had the appropriate travel insurance. If you have concerns about coronavirus, contact your travel provider to check what will be covered should you become sick or are required to self-isolate or quarantine by the local authorities. 


  • Check with your airline, tour operator, cruise line, or other transport and accommodation providers for any coronavirus-related changes. 


  • Plan ahead for any potential disruption. 


  • If you are older, or have pre-existing medical conditions, you are likely to become severely ill if you catch coronavirus. You should check NHS guidance before travelling. 

Planning your trip

Travel Insurance

Make sure you have appropriate travel insurance for overseas travel, and purchase it as soon as you book your holiday. Read the Foreign Office guidance on purchasing insurance for more information. 

Early restrictions

Many countries and territories have introduced screening measures such as temperature checks and health/travel questions, and entry restrictions at border crossing and transport hubs. 

If you have recently been in a country affected by the virus, you may need to be quarantined, or may not be allowed to enter or travel through a third country. Make sure you check the travel advice for all the countries you are planning to visit or travel through. 

Air Travel

As governments and local authorities bring in measures to control the spread of coronavirus, some airlines are changing their schedules or suspending flights for some destinations. If you're due to travel to an area affected by coronavirus, make sure you check the latest information with your travel company or airline. 

International cruises

If you are planning to go on a cruise, be aware that a coronavirus outbreak on board is possible, and your travel may be disrupted. 

If you are aged 70 or over, or have underlying health conditions, the Foreign Office advise you against cruise ship travel at this time.

If you are due to go on a cruise, check with your travel company for the latest information. 

International education trips

If you are planning a trip overseas, you should read the Department for Education guidance. The government advises against all overseas education trips for children under 18 until further notice. 

When you’re abroad

If travel advice changes when you are abroad

If Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice changes, you are advised to follow the advice of the local authorities. Your safety and security is the responsibility of the local authority where you are. 

If you are abroad when the advice changes, contact your airline or travel company, and your insurance provider as soon as you are able to.

You should also keep checking Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice. If they advise people to leave a company they will say so, but only organise assisted departures in exceptional circumstances. 

Quarantine while you are abroad

If the local authority where you are proposes to quarantine you for your own protection, you should follow their advice. When you are abroad, your safety and security is their responsibility.

If there are suspected cases of coronavirus where you are, you may need to remain in your hotel room or accommodation for 14 days, move to quarantine facilities, take tests for coronavirus and, if positive in some cases, be hospitalised abroad.

You should also contact your airline or travel company, and your insurance provider as soon as you can. We only organise assisted departure in exceptional circumstances.

Consular help

If you require consular assistance, you can contact them at any time by calling your nearest British embassy, high commission, or consulate.